Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you. Plans for a hope and a future."

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Thankful!

Thought I would share this awesome  message from a card I received from a sweet girl last week.....I'm sure there are a lot of others out there that need this as much as I did......

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  Well, what if you didn't sign up for extra-strength training?  What if you'd rather catch a few breaks once in awhile?  Is that so much to ask?  At some point, you'd think you'd be entitled to a free pass or two:  Skip this challenge.  Avoid that crisis.  Delete those problems.  It's not that you're not strong or that you don't have what it takes to get through this.  You are, you do, and you will.  But you've built enough character already, and it's time for things to lighten up a little!I know it's not really my call, but if I were in charge of life's wheel of fortune, you'd get a free spin.  And I'd be right there, cheering you on!
~Linda Barnes

Let me tell you what made this card even more awesome for me.  Steve and I had been planning on taking the boys away on an overnight adventure some time before school started.  I've been just a little skeptical about the whole thing because I've never left Zeta - and her health status is so unpredictable.  After much thought and planning and working to ensure she would have great care while we were gone I finally decided it was okay to take the plunge... Then just a couple of days before we were supposed to leave she ended up in the hospital again.  During that admission we came to terms with some pretty life altering things for us and at times it seemed like the whole world may spin out of control - like we were living a dream - or rather a nightmare.....but in the same token we knew that although we felt out of control that God had everything in control and that the most important thing for us to do was to trust Him....it was then that we began to feel and understand a new kind of acceptance in our journey. 

I had all but forgotten about our plans for a fun night away with the boys until this card came in the mail.  It was then that I understood how important this outing would be....for the boys....for us....for me....


I'll admit it was a little difficult.  I think I called to check on Zeta 5 times before we made it to Charlotte....but once we were there I became so transfixed on the happiness of the boys that it was all definitely worth it !  (as for Zeta - I don't think she even realized we were gone- they say she slept most of the time - whew!) 

I only became really emotional in the evening when watching a little girl toddle around exploring her surroundings with unsteady steps.  It was then that I yearned most to have Zeta with me....to have my family together....to be able to do 'normal' things....

As I continued to watch this fascinated little creature I began to realize that although there were certainly things she was able to do at age 1 that my two and a half year old can't do I also  realized that there were things that were similar....like the way she looked around in wonder....the way she seemed to take in the most ordinary things as the most thrilling and most of all the way she laughed and giggled and captured and intoxicated everyone close to her with her unadulterated zest for life.  Yes, that's what my baby does and there won't ever be a day that goes by that I am not thankful for the days I have with her or my boys!

So, you know what?  I'm glad Steve and the boys and I were able to get away for those 27 hours.  I'm glad we were able to make those memories and I'm glad that I was able to come home to be reminded about what a true gift every day is.......



No comments:

Post a Comment