Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you. Plans for a hope and a future."

Saturday, January 18, 2014

small things

I still can't get over the smallest, strangest coincidences that happen. For some unexplainable reason I woke up this morning thinking about the Palmetto Bluff Half-Marathon.

I suppose it may be because I heard Heather talking about it a couple of weeks ago.

Let's go back a little bit.

Last March I completed my 2nd half marathon. Beautiful,flat course. Beautiful day. Relaxing and intriguing at the same time. Fun experience with my cousins Matt, Heather, and Jen.

I believe that was my last race - no more halfs no more 5ks - nothing.

Palmetto Bluff was my last race for a couple of reasons, I suppose.

Zeta's health started declining during that time.

...and it was at this race that I just happened to be a first responder to a man that collapsed and required life-sustaining efforts.

That night, I dreamed that we were at a race - very similar to the one that day - and we had lost, as in MISPLACED, Zeta - trust me that should be something that would have been hard to do....but We couldn't find her. This man, the one that collapsed, came to me - he was the nicest man ever, with the coolest, most crisp and piercing blue eyes. He came to me and assured me that everything was alright. He assured me that we would find her again sometime. He assured me she was happy.

I woke up.

For some reason that dream disturbed me and brought me peace all at the same time.

Several days later I found out the man who collapsed at the course had died.

Again, the dream haunted me. Was it a sign? An omen of some sort? Was he in heaven now and the dream a preview of what was to come?

I quickly dismissed the thought.

Zeta was buried two months to the day from the day of this race last year......

So, back to today - I wake up thinking of this very same race. I count the weeks until race day and quickly dismiss the thought of training for it. I'm currently at a decent 3.1 mile pace. I can do 5 miles if I put my mind to it, but I do not have the time or desire to work toward the 13.1 required for the half.

I decide not to worry about it, although I would really love to go back.....one day.

Here comes the big coincidence.

I check out facebook and the first notification that pops up is about a comment from a man I basically stalked down last year after the Palmetto Bluff....You see, I believe he and his wife are one of the founders of the race - or at least very heavily involved in the non-profit (Back Pack Buddies) that it supports....I was looking for information about the man that collapsed....

I don't talk to this man on a regular basis - as a matter of fact, we may have had just a handful of fb interactions since the time we talked last year.

....but today.....today there's a comment from him on this picture I shared....


"....hope to see you at Palmetto Bluff this year"

Ok, how strange is all of this?

....and what is the reason I feel I should go?

I don't think it matters whether I go and run or nut, but it matters that maybe there is a little message in all of this for me......exactly what the message is and exactly what it is I am supposed to do about it I do not know, but you can't tell me that all of these seemingly inconsequential series of events happening this morning have no meaning.....

If there is one thing I've learned over the past few years it is that nothing is inconsequential.....there is an intricate plan detailed through every single breath we take....it's up to us to ask God to help us follow it....


Proverbs 30:24-28

New International Version (NIV)

24 “Four things on earth are small,
yet they are extremely wise:
25 Ants are creatures of little strength,
yet they store up their food in the summer;
26 hyraxes are creatures of little power,
yet they make their home in the crags;
27 locusts have no king,
yet they advance together in ranks;
28 a lizard can be caught with the hand,
yet it is found in kings’ palaces.


These four things are essentially small......but yet, look at the relative power they possess....Would you wonder why god would choose this particular verse to be a scripture reference? I wonder if it may be to show us that these small, seemingly irrelevant creatures hold much more power than we give them credit for - just like the small little things in our lives - or the small whispers or nudges we're given everyday that - to us - seem to have no meaning.....

Wouldn't it be great to figure it all out?

Wouldn't it be great to meet Jesus face to face one day?

Wouldn't it be great to ask God for all the answers you've ever wondered?

No comments:

Post a Comment