Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you. Plans for a hope and a future."

Sunday, December 11, 2011

I've got to get over it......

Zeta was admitted to the hospital again Thursday.

Before I go any further, I have to get something off my chest.

The parking attendant ticked me off…….so much that I cried……to the point of nauseousness………..

I was mad alright, but the madder I got the more I realized it wasn’t  the parking attendant’s fault (although she was pretty catty).  The angrier I became the more I cried – the more I cried the sadder I got – I realized that what was making me the most angry was the fact that we are back at the hospital again.  I was angry because we were finally figuring out about life at home and now we were back here.  I was angry because this Christmas was like Zeta’s first Christmas but now we’re here.  I was angry because we practically missed the whole Christmas season last year and we’re not supposed to be in the hospital now.  I was mad because my boys …..oh, my boys……if I’m so mad I wonder how they’re doing……If I’m so mad then I wonder how  Zeta feels……Oh, wow – my baby is back in the hospital….then I was SAD.  How unfair.  I am sick of my baby being sick! She had been doing so well……but I knew this was coming.  She has been sick for a few weeks……only I didn’t know things were going to get this bad.

We started November out with an ear infection.  She did well for about a week then became sick again.  This time it seemed like something respiratory – then another ear infection…..then instead of getting better, her temperature just kept climbing ……..and then the seizures started.  We had not had a single glimpse of the ‘BIG’ seizures since July.  I should have known something was seriously wrong by this time, but I think I was in denial.  Even when we were in the ER I never would  have thought she would have been as sick as she was.

Zeta had a raging UTI (been quite a while since we’ve battled one of those too) and her single kidney was failing to do its job efficiently. She began swelling so quickly that it was almost like watching someone blow up a balloon.  Her labs were all over the place…”this is too high, that’s too low….we want to see this number improve….we’re going to watch this one for a little while then we might need to do something different”…. My poor baby has been so swollen that she could not move her hands or feet.  They looked as though they could burst any minute.  Any place that something rubbed on her skin she would get a blister.  She is so miserable! My poor baby.

Thankfully, she is making improvement.  Although still swollen, there is a tremendous difference in yesterday and today.  She even managed to smile some last night.  Her latest labs look good and the last urine culture shows that the infection is clearing. She still acts miserable.  I know I would be miserable too though. 
If all continues to go well, hopefully, we won’t be here much longer!
I apologize for not posting sooner, but I think Trina has done a pretty good job keeping everyone updated on the Team Zeta Prayer Warrior page…..

Plus….if I would have been posting sooner you would have been privy to my temper tantrum…..let me tell you, I don’t have room in my head or heart for many more episodes like that.  I realized I have to turn my focus back to what is important, that I cannot dwell on all that is wrong – or it will make me nuts….  Last night I was reading an article that used a term:  “whack-a-mole misery”- …..wow, I thought – that is just how I feel………..you know the game – once you punch down one of the little creatures another pops up and you’re chasing it all around trying to ‘whack-a-mole’…….Ever get that feeling?  Like once you put one fire out another one starts?  The past few days I feel like I’ve been getting a test in endurance.  This time, my friend, I failed….I let everything fall apart in my mind.  All I could think was, “I don’t want to go back to the way things were.  I don’t think I can watch my baby turning blue or sedated every day and living in a hospital again.”  The great thing is that this morning when I woke up I realized that God was still there.  Zeta is making improvement and my strength is renewed…. and I know that I have another opportunity to use this experience in a positive way……
I’m not angry anymore.

But…….I am weary.  I worry that we have more hospital stays to look forward to or that Zeta’s urologist will tell us tomorrow that it’s time for the ‘big’ surgery.  We assumed (and were told) that the initial surgery done to help prevent kidney damage may not work and if it did it would likely not be a permanent fix, but we’ve become so comfortable with the way things have been.  I do not want to start over again.  I keep telling myself that it’s not going to happen – that she will not be as sick as she used to be.  I’m fighting every voice in my head that tries to tell me otherwise (and in case you’re wondering, no- I don’t really actually hear voices).  I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m scared.  I’m usually the one begging the doctors to let us go home, but this time……this time, I’m afraid that they’re actually going to have to push me out.  Right now it doesn’t help that although all the tests are coming back better she is still absolutely miserable and is acting nowhere near her normal self.

….and another issue?......a few days before she was admitted I kept thinking that Zeta’s breath smelled fishy…………well with all the antibiotics and possible upper respiratory stuff I assumed that would cause bad breath……….but me, professional internet doctor, looked  up ‘fishy breath’.  Guess what it said?  Kidney failure!!!  Why did I not get her to the hospital?  Why did I explain it away?  (other than the simple fact that anything you look up on the internet is going to say that you have cancer, liver failure, kidney failure, etc)  She had been fighting (what seemed to be) the same illness for too long.  Why didn’t I think something else was going on?  I’m her mother.  I’m supposed to know these things! I understand that there is no way I could have known for sure.  I know that I would never purposefully let any of my children suffer.  I know that some people will say I couldn’t have known and others may say that I should have…….                   

Can you tell I’ve been feeling a little guilt here too?

All I can say is that I have faith that we will get through this ……this is one of the times I will openly say I’m holding onto a string. My head keeps trying to tell me one thing…..but….my heart….my soul…..my God……………. are whispering another………………

……..For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required…… Luke 12:48

No comments:

Post a Comment