Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you. Plans for a hope and a future."

Friday, December 30, 2011

Did I ever mention that I put up our first Christmas tree of the season at the beginning of November?

Can you figure out that I was  a little excited about this Christmas?  I've always loved Christmas, but something about this season was especially intriguing for me!  It was almost as if I were watching everything through the eyes of a child. I paid attention more....I stopped every chance that I could to just take it all in....and I focused a lot more on the reason as to why we celebrate Christmas....the birth of Jesus Christ. 


For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.


Most of you know, though, that my Christmas spirit all but shriveled away when Zeta was admitted to the hospital again just a few weeks before Christmas.  I became terribly down.  I was fighting to get myself back to that spot.

Just a few days before Christmas, I was having an especially hard day.  The boys were in school, and I left Zeta with her nurse.  I was on a mission and I had two things on my mind.  One-  to finish shopping, and two- to find someone to bless.  You know you get the best feeling when you can GENUINELY bless someone unexpectedly....  I had some ideas in mind, but decided to wait until something just 'jumped' out at me.....it wasn't long before I found my answer.  I came upon an elderly couple whose car was broken down.  I knew that was where the blessing was due.  I won't go into details, but I did begin to feel a little like one of Santa's elves as I sped away after stopping and talking with the wife briefly. That exchange was just the beginning of re-gaining my Christmas spirit.

I was especially thankful for our family gatherings.  I stopped to think about Christmases past and all the people that we've lost and gained in our families throughout the years.  There sure was a good bit of emotion involved!

....and Santa came by to visit Zeta on his way to church one night....what another unexpected blessing:)

Something that really stood out to me were all the blessings that I have received.  Stevie really surprised me with an unexpected and undeserved gift .... then another unexpected blessing from my parents.  There were friends, family, and acquaintances that remembered our family in so many ways.  Then there was the mysterious person/people who left another anonymous gift in Zeta's medical account, and finally the Christmas card that we received in the mail on the 28th - left unsigned - with a gift of love............  This all led me to ponder on all of the blessings our family has received throughout the year.  All of the fundraisers, gifts of time, and the many, many prayers!!  But I don't put the focus on the material.......I put the focus on the HEARTS of those who have felt led to play a part in Zeta's story.  I truly, truly wish I could name every single one publicly.  I want to shout to the world their praises.  The only thing that stops me is that I know I would inadvertently leave someone out and that would defeat my purpose in sending thanks to  everyone!  I know that God sees my heart and hears their prayers as well as ours....and  I hope that I am able to convey our many, many thanks without naming everyone individually - trust me there is no way you can truly ever know how very, very grateful we are!!

As for Zeta, she is doing ok.  For the most part she is trying to get over her last hospitalization.  We do see lots of instances of her playful personality, but she is obviously still recovering.  We did end up at MUSC on Christmas Eve evening.  Zeta began bleeding from her eye.  When we got to the ER she began bleeding from her mouth.  The only thing they could come up with was that perhaps she had a nosebleed that didn't actually come from her nose, but from her eye and mouth.  I suppose that could make sense - and you know Zeta doesn't like to do anything in a 'normal' way, so that's ok.  They did some blood work to check out her platelets and blood clotting factors, etc and it all looked good so we felt pretty confident about coming back home.  We were so thankful to be able to spend Christmas at home!

On Monday, I got a visit from two friends.  I was so happy to see them and enjoy some real 'trivial' conversation (as my friend calls it).  After they left, I realized it had been some time since I'd had a conversation that didn't revolve around doctors, therapies, hospitals, or kids!  Zeta ran a fever that night, but it has since resolved.  We went to the doctor yesterday for some injections that were scheduled and while we were there they went ahead and did another urine cath and started another round of antibiotics due to some symptoms she's been having this week.  I pray it will all resolve quickly and we'll be back on the road to recovery!

For now, we are enjoying some treasured family time and looking forward to a new year!  A year filled with health, happiness, and thankfulness!


No comments:

Post a Comment