Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you. Plans for a hope and a future."

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It happened

Honestly, I would much rather keep all of this information to myself.....but I suspect if I am going to fully heal I will need to purge my feelings....and if I plan on helping another soul I'm obligated to share, right?

 
Everyone saw this coming……..except me.

Ever experienced a panic attack?  In the past few years I’ve experienced waves of panic that I was able to talk myself out of….  I mean, I don’t have time for a nervous breakdown.  I’ve always been successful in my positive self-talk…..until the other day.   I cracked.  I mean, I had a full blown Green Mile- John Coffey-  evil expelling type of attack.



There was no particular trigger.  It was a normal day.  I was getting ready to feed Zeta. Then I started to feel dizzy.  This had happened infrequently over the course of the past couple of years, but just this week it had been worsening.  On this day, I couldn’t make it stop.  I couldn’t get a sense of relief.  The images of the room ran in and out and I fell.  I feared I would black out and no one would be here to take care of Zeta.  Then I couldn’t breathe.  I managed to call my mom, but couldn’t get any words out, then I fell again.  Then the wails and screams started. They seemed to emanate from the depths of my bowels.  I was very aware of everything that was going on, but I could not control it. I couldn’t make it stop.  I couldn’t see, I couldn’t breathe.  I couldn’t make it ok. I felt selfish, ashamed, helpless.   I kept trying to tell everybody I was ok, that I could breathe, but I couldn’t breathe…… but in my mind I wondered if I was going to pass out or if they would take me to a mental health facility. Then the bolts of numbness in my arms and legs…..maybe this isn’t a panic attack, maybe I AM having a heart attack.  What if I die?  What about my children, my husband, my parents?

Needless to say I went to see a doctor and we’re working on getting the help that I need.  What I feel most is embarrassment.  My mind was raped, and my soul is still struggling to recover.  What I fear most is that it will happen again.  All I want to do now is stay in bed and crawl under the covers.  They say it’s a battle of depression, but I don’t feel depressed.  I feel as though my body failed me.  That my control left me…..and now I have to pick up the pieces. 


I, of all people, do not have a right to experience anxiety.  I have the most loving husband and children.  A family that would move mountains for me and a team of support that encircles our family every day.    Frankly, other people looking in don’t see it that way.  Doctors were trying to medicate me just after Zeta was born.  My mom has encouraged me ‘to go see about myself’ for quite some time, even some of Zeta’s therapists and care team have subtly encouraged me to do the same……As a matter of fact my mother-in-law started telling my husband to watch me closely two weeks ago because I was going to have a nervous breakdown (little did I know) but I didn’t feel depressed or anxious.  Sure there are moments, but who doesn’t have moments?  This shouldn’t have happened to me.  I’m a self-proclaimed expert in coping skills and self-help techniques.  The queen of calm……..BUT it happened….it happened to me…..and you know what?  I’m going to be okay.

No one thinks panic or anxiety or depression should happen to them.  I’ve witnessed its affects (and effects) first hand.  I’ve seen panic attacks, and now I’ve experienced one. I’ve listened as friends or co-workers talked in hushed tones about their loved one battling depression or a breakdown.  It is real.  I’ve always believed that, but until my own experience I did not realize what an impact it truly takes on your mental AND physical being. It is a very intimidating, isolating feeling.  It can make you physically ill and also make you feel like the most self-absorbed person on earth. It not only hurts you but the ones around you.  So, please if you’re dealing with it please get help – medical, physical, spiritual…..I believe these all have strong components in healing.  If others turn you away or minimize your problems keep looking for help.  Surround yourself with positive energy…..and pray. 


Don’t look down on me for what I have shared.  Don’t give me pity.  Don't go ask my mom or grandma how I'm coping.  Just surround me with love and support.  Love and support and pray for my family…for Stevie, for my boys, for Zeta, for my parents, grandparents and my sister and her family.  We’re all in this together and I know God will lead us through.

PS Please don't take it personally if I haven't responded to texts, phone calls, etc.  I've had my phone and computer turned off and just trying to let my mind and body rest.

5 comments:

  1. Angel,
    You have brought tears to my eyes. I can not imagine what you must have gone thru during those moments. You have been thru much more than your share. Thank you for sharing..you are very brave...one of God's Angels.
    Blessings are coming to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pray for yall daily read Romans 8-28 it means a lot to me - God bless.

      Delete
  2. I stumbled on your blog today and I can tell you, You are NOT alone! I totally get it. I'm a Christian (Hubby is a pastor, Father and Father in law are too). Supportive/loving family. And I hit bottom like you're talking about a month ago. We have 6 kids, all SN, 2 with terminal conditions. Youngest is touch and go daily. I was managing. Then one more thing (a big thing) was piled on me and I couldn't breathe or see my way past the event.I felt the mental breakdown. I could even verbalize what was happening. God sent me the right messenger and I was able to breathe again. I'm still in the thick of it, but I'm moving again. Just wanted to tell you... you are not alone. The unspeakably heavy burden we carry is not something anyone else could understand unless they have BTDT. Praying God send you the right messenger. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone. My circumstances were a bit different, but the panic and all that happened the same. Mine was a case of postpartum depression (probably brought on by extreme job stress and a very sick newborn). I can tell you that with the right doctor or therapist and medications you will get better. My experience was 19 years ago, I would be glad to share anything you might want to know as I know how scared I was when it happened. The great news is that I got better and have a very blessed life, so hang tough and know that you will find your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The truth will set you free. You have set me free by telling your truths, too. I know the embarrassment, astonishment, anger with yourself and complete insecurity of asking why did this happen to me? Sure I have had some bad things happen in life, but I believe in God and see His hands at work in situations, so where does this come from? It all could be so much worse I think.
    All I can say Angel is that I have known your family for several years and there was something about YOU, your boys, parents that screamed SPECIAL to me long before Zeta was thought of.
    I have, unknown to you, used your blog to get through so much in my life. I and my church, far away from Barnwell now, have prayed for you all.
    I am sorry you have gone through so much, not pity for you, but love for your family-sorry for the pains but grateful for how Zeta has brought God to worship to others through you. For I know the panic and anxiety and maybe just maybe the words of truth that come from you, someone who I once viewed as very sweet but private, on this blog are God speaking, suffering some along the way of helping others and yourself. We never know when we can say, "Oh my.....that was such a God thing.....!"
    I do pray for you to feel peace and calmness. I have to thank you, too, for Zeta bringing your truths out of you. Your words, that could only be words of God-happy, sad, mad, glad, anxious, all of them-have brought me closer to Him. Your whole family will have the riches of Heaven one day. We will be sisters inside the gates one day and I am grateful to you for that.
    God sent beautiful Zeta for so many in this world, not just her wonderful family. I know you feel blessed to have this special family. I want you to feel okay with being normal, too!

    ReplyDelete