Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you. Plans for a hope and a future."

Saturday, August 20, 2011

So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees.  Mark a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong. Hebrews 12:12-13

This verse is appropriate for us in so many ways - both literally and figuratively.... I've been feeling tired (and pitiful, pathetic, depressed - poor, pitiful me-remember?) and Zeta's knees are weak......

Whoa be my soul, Whoa be to Zeta (or some strange saying like that)!

We found a draw-back to Zeta feeling so well......Two steps forward - one step back.....She had some pretty intensive occupational and physical therapy Thursday - probably the most she's ever done.  I noticed that by the second hour she was very irritable (which is not like her - unless something is REALLY wrong).  I also noticed that it seemed to be a little worse when the therapist focused working on her right leg......regretfully, I shrugged it off as her just being a little tight and getting tired of therapy.  We noticed that she was still pretty irritable when we got home.  She seemed to cry every time we touched her.  When she woke yesterday morning I thought about how she seemed to get more upset with movement of her right leg so I tried putting some pressure on that leg and she immediately started crying.... I knew something had to be WRONG. I told her nurse about it and she noticed that Zeta was 'guarding' that leg and not moving it at all.  So, I called and made an appointment with her pediatrician.  I was really hoping she just pulled something - or maybe even was just sore.

We saw her pediatrician, and she sent us for x-rays.  She told us to stay in town after the x-rays so she could call us with the results.  It was obvious that she presumed something was broken. When they were done with the x-rays they told us to just wait at the hospital until they talked with the doctor.  That immediately told me they saw something on the x-ray. A few minutes later her pediatrician called and we were headed to MUSC to see an orthopedist.

We spent ALL afternoon in Charleston.  The initial x-rays were hard to read because it was hard to tell what were actually fractures  and what were actually just her bones.  They said her bones look very weak and brittle.  They decided to do more x-rays and found that she has a fracture and chip on the inside part just below the knee.  Once they figured that out we had to wait for them to decide what to do.....Thankfully - NO SURGERY!!! No cast - she doesn't weight bear or walk so really no need.....the big question was whether or not to splint it? Zeta got a little tired of waiting....

Really, I think she was just HUNGRY!


They finally decided that it would be better  NOT to splint it because she is keeping that leg still on her own, and we know not to be working that leg.  With splinting and her thin skin we would have to worry about skin break down and then risk for infection, etc., etc.  Sooo.....we finally made it home around 1 AM last night. 

I am so very thankful for Zeta's nurse.  She stayed with us the whole time.  I really felt awful that she had to drive almost another hour to get home after we got here (and got Zeta in and settled).  By the time I was finally settled and getting to bed (just before 3) she called to let me know she had made it home safely (now that's dedication!!!:).  We are very blessed to have someone who genuinely cares for Zeta!

Other than the broken leg, therapy went well :) Her SPIO ( a special support suit) came in and she did even better with sitting upright - plus she looked so darned cute - like she was getting ready to go to dance class lol!  I've had visions of more consistent, intensive therapy (in order to catch up with all she has lost over the past 17 months) but I guess we have to put it on hold a little longer - No physical therapy for at least 2 MONTHS!!! UGH!  Oh well, like I  kept telling myself yesterday.....She's not blue....and she can breathe.... and she's not having seizures.....for now we'll just wait on the therapy and dance lessons :)


We continue to shout our praises even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next.  From Romans 5:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment